Friday, April 16, 2010

This July I become a Half Ironman to find a cure for Cancer.


This year I decided to race in the 2010 Whirlpool Ironman 70.3 Steelhead Triathlon this July in Benton Harbor, MI. More importantly I’m doing this to raise money for cancer research.

In March of 2002 my Dad, Bob Sr., was diagnosed with cancer. Thanks to a combination of radiation and chemotherapy he survived. On Christmas Eve 2009 my Dad had a heart attack. The Doctors told my family that one of the contributing factors of my dad’s damaged heart was his cancer treatment. My Dad survived again and in my mind became Ironman for facing death twice.
Me with my Dad,
AKA my hero and mentor

So I’m racing a half Ironman as a member of Team In Training to push myself to my limits, just like my dad and every other cancer patient that had to keep going to cross their own finish line and become healthy again. I’m raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) because it’s believed that once we find a cure for blood cancers other cancer cures won’t be far behind. Besides, I want to find a better cure so every cancer patient doesn’t need to be cured and then face another health challenge.

LLS has invested more than $680 million in research, approximately $69 million in fiscal year 2009 alone. Programs like the Specialized Center of Research (SCOR), which brings together teams of scientists from different disciplines and our Translational Research Program, which funds research with a high probability of producing innovative patient treatments in an accelerated time frame, have directly contributed to many breakthrough cancer treatments.

So PLEASE donate at least $1 on my fundraising webpage. My goal is to raise $2,600 for the LLS by July1st. Look out for other fundraisers through this blog and my twitter page.

For example,  my Party at Pump It Up Glenview on Monday June 21. Kids are $15 and Adults are free but asked for a $5 donation.

I Love you - Wish me Luck – Rock and or Roll \m/ – GO TEAM

0 comments: