Sunday, July 11, 2010

Steelhead 2010 Training Update...Less then 3 weeks away!


Training for the Steelhead Half Ironman and trying to fundraise $2,600 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is a lot of work. I don’t remember working this hard when I was training for the Chicago Triathlon Triple Challenge last year.

Right now I’m at the peek of my training. Friday was a 1.5 mile swim. Yesterday I had to do a 50 mile bike ride and 5.5 mile run brick workout. Today I had a 12 mile run I had to hammer out around Busse Woods. I’m a little sore but I’ll survive. Tomorrow is a 2,500 yard swim.

There were plenty of times I wanted to quit. There were plenty of times I could have been sleeping in, playing video games or hang out with my friends late at night at the bar. Then I think about all the people I know who are affected by cancer. They can’t quit, they don’t have that luxury of quitting. Plus I remember that I’m stubborn and I don’t like to quit either.

Looking at how my training is going I’m expecting to finish the half Ironman in 6 to 7 hours. I’m assuming 40 to 50 minutes of swimming, 2.5 to 3 hours or cycling and 2 to 2.1 hours of running. I would be real happy if my end time was around 6 hours. My first and main goal is to finish and finish strong of course.   

I’m still fundraising. I have about $1,600 to go.  The best way you can help me is buy one my Team in Training water bottles. Click here to learn more. My Pump It Up and Noodles and Company Fundraisers did okay. Be on the lookout for another function in the very near future.   Of course you can make a donation at http://www.RunningForACure.info.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is committed to curing leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma, and helping patients and their families. The support you provide is invested wisely:

In fiscal year 2008 $71.4 million was invested, including funding for 129 new grants to researchers in academic institutions and $4 million in contracts through the LLS Therapy Acceleration Program. As of June 2008, LLS was supporting 388 research projects and 9 research contracts in the U.S., Canada, and 14 other countries. LLS also provides financial assistance to patients; sponsors scientific conferences around the country; produces educational materials and videos; and runs dozens of Family Support Groups nationwide. (Source http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=12358)



0 comments: