Friday, July 30, 2010

T-minus 24 hours until I race the 2010 Steelhead Ironman 70.3 Challenge

Twenty four hours from now I will be getting into my Team In Training wetsuit that all my campers and staff signed and jumping in Lake Michigan and competing in one of the hardest athletic endeavors I have ever competed in, the 2010 Steelhead 70.3 Half Ironman Triathlon.
Am I ready? Ready as I'll ever be. I've trained. Try to eat right and try to stay hydrated all this week. I've swam 1.2 miles before, I've rode my bike longer then 56 miles, and I've ran more then 13.1 miles more than once. Never have I combined those three distance in one day.
Am I nervous? Not any more. I'f you read my previous post where I had a mini nervous attack not any more. I have my back up wetsuit. My bike is working now. Village Cycle fixed my front derailer cable, I've cleaned it up, and I fixed my cleats. After my Lake Geneva bike ride I had had to get new Speedplay cleats. When I was going on a training ride with the new cleats I could not clip in. After a close inspection, my new cleats were installed backwards! After I figured out what was wrong I was able to clip into my bike. I'm not aching or in pain and feel rested and ready to go. Knock on wood.
I've got PowerBar Gels, Performance Bars, and Harvest Bars for the bike ride and run. After the race I'll be looking for Well Done Steak and Beer.
All my gear is ready. Well 90% ready. I've laid everything out and made a list of things I need to get at the Expo today.

  • Body Glide - To help take off my wet suit and prevent cheffing. 
  • Bento Box to store my peanut butter pretzels in
  • Goggle lens defogger - so I can see the buoys during the swim
  • Tri laces - For my running shoes. 
Yeah I'm ready. I'll be making updates via Twitter and Facebook all weekend except during the race. If you want to track me during the race you can chip track me at http://www.IronMan.com. My bib number is 1974, I'm in wave 17, and I start at 7:42 am Chicago time. 
I also wanted to take a moment to thank everyone that has donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by making donations, buying my water bottles and coming to my various fundraiser functions. I've raised $1,500 and hope to raise another $1,100 by the end of August. That money is helping families of victims get to doctor appointments and finding new and better cures for cancer.  
I'm going to finish packing and head up to Benton Harbor. 
Wish me luck, 
ROCK ON \M/, &
GO TEAM!

0 comments: