Sunday, April 5, 2009

OMG, only 6 days until the Illinois Marathon. Time to start packing!!

Six more days until I run my sixth marathon down in Champaign-Urbana. If you’ve been reading my status updates on Twitter and Facebook you know I fell pretty confident in my running. The other day I ran 7 miles along the Chicago Lakefront under an hour. That is even sticking with 5 minute run to 1 minute walk intervals. Training aside, I need to pack for the Illinois Marathon.

Just read the following items I need for race day:

  • Running Shoes.  – Goes without saying.
  • Team in Training Running Jersey – Have to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Have you donated a $1 yet to my fundrasing page?
  • Running shorts – I’m not running naked in this race.
  • Sun Glasses – So I don’t squint my eyes. Every little bit of energy counts. I might have to buy a new pair at the expo. 
  • Team in Training Headsweats Visor – So the sun doesn’t get in my eyes and to support the Team.
  • Two Pairs of Running socks. - Wearing two socks helps prevents blisters.
  • Garmin Heart Rate Monitor and Watch – To help me watch my pace and keep track of my 5:1 intervals. I plan on doing a 8:50 to 9:10 minutes per mile pace. 
  • Body glide. –Helps to prevent chaffing.  Something no runner should ever be without.
  • Band aids. - To prevent bloody nipples. Yes it has happened to me. The shower after that one fateful training run was quite painful.
  • Five Strawberry Banna Gu's - For energy replacement.
  • Fuel Belt – So I can have water, Gatorade, and my Gu’s when ever I need it.
  • Sun block – to prevent skin cancer.
  • Pretzels – I get really hungry after mile 20 and to help replace all the sodium I lose while sweating.
  • Running pouch – Something To carry my pretzels.
  • Race Bib – I’ll pick up at the expo on Friday
  • Running Chip – I’ll pick up at the expo on Friday. "No Chip, No Time."
  • Photos of my inspirations – Pretty much my dad, cancer survivors and all the people I train with.
  • Extra pins – To pin my bib, gu’s and photos  to my jersey
  • iPod Shuffle and Headphones – That little extra boost in my head.
Incase it’s cold on race day
  • Throw away shirt
  • Team in Trainining Head Band
  • Running Gloves – Incase it’s cold on race day
  • Running tights
  • Underarmor
  • Plastic Bags - so Snow doesn't get in my shoes like the Shamrock Shuffle last Sunday. 

Why do I need so much stuff you might ask? I’ll be running 26.2 miles. It’s pretty much a 4 to 5 hours for me. I need to be ready for all the contingences. Something that you’ve been training for  4 to 5 months is a big deal. Usually things that are big deals, at least for me, require a little bit of planning and a list so I don’t forget anything before I leave for the race or my house for that matter. Most people don't realize how much thought goes into these endurance races. I just thought I share my list with you. 

 

 

1 comments:

Mara said...

thats a lotta stuff :) Why the GUs over shot blox?