Thursday, November 27, 2008

I'm Thankful for alot of things today while I ran 13 miles.

It's Thanksgiving, Five days after I completed the Tour De Tucson. The Tour de Tucson is a  109 mile century ride in AZ. Anyway I didn't have enough money to do a Chicago Turkey Trot this year so I decided to do a run by myself. So I properly hydrated, packed two Strawberry Banana Power Gels  into my trusty Fuel Belt. Then I put on my underarmor, my favorite blue Nike running shorts, my favorite pair of running tights, my Asics Gloves, Zip Down Asics shirt,Team in Training Head band, 2 pairs of running socks, put on my shoes picked up my iPod and went out the door. It was 22 degrees Fahrenheit outside and Sunny. A perfect day for running. Not to mention a great day for long run before a big Thanksgiving feast at my Uncle's house in Kennelworth.

It was cool, Mid way through the run my fingers were freezing numb. But I kept going. I went through Nikol Park in Arlington Heights and ran to the highest point there and had my Rocky. Moment. Through out the entire run all I could think of was how thankful I was for everything. To have the ability to run on  a day were in a few hours I'm gonna stuff my self silly with Turkey I think it is a privilege for what I do. Think about it, there are people worrying about car bombs and where they are going to get their next meal. I've met allot of people and seen enough to know I am super lucky. 

Let's just go down a list:
  • I'm alive. Only when you're alive things can feel so good. It may of been cold and my legs . felt like rubber but I wouldn't have it any other way. Not many people can take a day off and just take in the surrounding suburbs. 
  • My family. Thank god I have my family. I'm luckey to still have my dad with me today after all he has been through with cancer and his recent trip to the hospital. I'm Lucky to have people that care for me and be there for me.
  • My friends.  I'm so thankful I surround my self with people who lookout for me and can laugh with me. If I was alone I would truly be miserable and this Thanksgiving Run would be allot lonelier if I didn't have anyone to think about. 
  • My Life. Not many people in this world can go for a run then come to a safe warm house ad then blog about his run.  
  • My Health. Thank goodness I'm healthy enough to think about completing a half Iron Man in 2009.  There are thousands of people who can't run cause they are stuck in some hospital. All I can do is do the occasional fundraising for them and think about them while I run. 
If you get the chance, put your running shoes on or take out your bike and enjoy the day before you eat. It will put things into perspective for you.

Today I ran 13 miles in 2 hours and 4 minutes
through Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights, & Wheeling, IL.


View Larger Map

0 comments: